About the Job
Location: 211 N. Clinton St., Chicago, Illinois 60661 Salary Range: $75,000-$120,000/year AltusWorks is seeking a Building Enclosure Architect/Commissioning Agent to join our team and lead restoration, renovation, rehabilitation, and new and retro-commissioning project delivery for a wide variety of market sectors – cultural venues, education (higher ed and K12), government, hospitality/breweries, multi-family residential, retail, and transportation. Position Summary Take a leadership role in the development and execution of a variety of projects addressing building enclosure systems. Specific expertise on projects will include: Primary:
- Condition assessments of building enclosure systems
- Façade evaluations from suspended swing stages, direct/review probe openings and analyze failure modes.
- Report preparation consolidating assessment findings and recommendations.
- Architectural repair and construction documents for building enclosure restoration.
- Perform Building Enclosure Commissioning services for new construction (The Obama Presidential Center) and renovation, applying knowledge of building science and observed failures.
- Participation in Business Development activities
- Prepare proposal responses.
- Oversee assignments of Architectural Designers.
- Mentor and train younger architects and designers.
- Preform Quality Control reviews.
- Fifteen days of paid leave for vacation, personal, or sick leave to be accrued monthly including initial trial period.
- Six standard holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
- Participation in corporate sponsored professional development events and activities.
- Group health insurance premiums partially paid by AltusWorks.
- Group dental and vision insurance is available, but premiums not paid by AltusWorks.
- Group long and short-term disability insurance, premiums paid by AltusWorks.
- 401(K) retirement plan with a 3% non-elective employer contribution and profit sharing.
- Consideration for periodic discretionary bonuses based on firm and individual performance.
- Statement of Interest
- Sample Portfolio
- Ability to communicate with clients, consultants, contractors, and co-workers effectively and professionally at all times, graphically, verbally and in written documents.
- Self-starter, as well as a flexible, collaborative team player, willing to take on all assignments, including those for non-historic project types.
- Knowledge of preservation techniques and policies.
- Knowledge of historic construction techniques and styles.
- Knowledge of material repair and restoration techniques.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and current AutoCAD and Revit programs.
- Basic graphic presentation skills for preparation of reports and marketing materials.
- Creative writing skills for the preparation of reports and marketing materials.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Architectural Studies, Structural Engineering and/or a Master of Architecture.
- 7+ years’ experience as a building enclosure architect conducting assessments, writing reports, analyzing failures and performing commissioning agent activities as well as preparing contract documents for architectural preservation, historic structures, facility analyses, and building science and technology.
- Strong construction documentation and administrative management skills.
- Strong knowledge of architectural industry and project delivery.
- Curious, inquisitive
- Dependable, reliable
- Hard Working
- Open, receptive, approachable
- Quick to get to the essence of the issue
- Sees the big picture
- Clear, concise, and correct preparation of all documents
- Meet project deadlines and client objectives
- Conform to office and client QAQC policies
- Perform services consistent with office standards
- Participate in corporate-sponsored professional development program.
- Comply with all office policies and procedures.
- Comply with office Performance Criteria.
About the Company
Altus is the Latin root of the noun altitude meaning HIGH, OLD, EXPERT. AltusWorks (a certified Woman and Disadvantaged Business Enterprise) is a technically oriented architectural design firm which applies a high level of expertise to the creative problem solving required for the restoration, adaptive reuse, rehabilitation, and expansion of existing and historic structures. The firm was founded in 2003 by Ellen Stoner, Preservation Architect, based on the concept that existing buildings are renewable assets that contribute to the economic development of communities through their revitalization. With such expertise, the firm facilitates the implementation of a variety of projects from facility assessments and program management to additions, building renovation and restoration, envelope repair, and adaptive reuse. Applying our knowledge of building science derived from extensive envelope evaluation and repair, we provide building envelope commissioning for renovation and new construction. This is a great opportunity to join an incredible firm. Visit www.altusworks.com to learn more about our diverse practice and the variety of markets and clients we serve.
- Vision Statement
- Mission Statement
- Purpose Statement
Women-Owned Business Enterprise (WBE)
Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE)