About the Job
We have a job opportunity for a Senior Project Architect who will be accountable for project management, design coordination and development, and technical review and implementation, while working in collaboration with a Principal or Partner. Primary responsibilities include developing deliverables, coordinating disciplines, and supervising document production by junior staff.
Minimum requirements for this position include an architect license; 7+ years of relevant experience; and proficient in Revit.
- Creates the project work plan and helps lead the project team to deliver projects according to the schedule and budget. Manages schedule for week-to-week tasks and overall deadlines for submittals and drafter / associate’s work.
- Runs point on client meetings and requests. Regularly communicates with project team members, client representatives, and government officials to confirm design requirements and specifications, conduct progress checks, and respond to queries and requests. Proactively identifies issues for resolution and works with manager to constructively resolve issues.
- Translates conceptual design sketches into schematic design drawings, demonstrating a keen understanding of basic building elements, such as stair/exiting requirements, program and area delineation, schematic structural layout, parking design, and prototypical program elements, including unit, bedroom, bathroom, living space sizes and configurations.
- Ensures the overall design intent is reflected in production drawings. Coordinates development of drawings among internal staff, and with outside consultants and other project team members.
• Undertakes thorough checks of deliverables to ensure they meet protocols for quality control, graphic standards, and best practices.
• Conducts analysis of zoning and building code compliance through each phase of design, including periodic checks and re-issuance of zoning and project data sheets. Ability to engage and present to neighborhood, city planning, and other entitlement groups, and manage Project Architect-level staff thru the process.
• Performs as a team leader on certain projects, and mentors junior staff.
- Architect license and minimum 7+ years of relevant experience.
- Proficient in Revit (minimum 4 years’ experience in a professional setting), AutoCAD, SketchUp, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- Thorough understanding of architectural building systems, materials, construction techniques, building codes, and sustainable practices.
- Ability to creatively devise solutions to work around existing conditions and other limitations, and present multiple ways to respond to a given set of design problems.
- Ability to work together as a member of a team for a common purpose or benefit while working individually on given tasks.
- Job requires consistency of actions, methods, principles, expectations, and outcomes. Requires having excellent attendance, being reliable, responsible, and fulfilling obligations.
- Ability to adapt to variety in the workplace, and a willingness to take on new responsibilities and challenges.
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines and manage multiple projects.
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
• LEED accreditation is desired.
About the Company
Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture (HPA) is an architecture, planning and interior design firm that practices nationally from our Near North Side studio. Named AIA Chicago’s 2018 Firm of the Year, HPA delivers multi-use commercial, multi-family residential and hospitality projects across the country that share a common sensibility toward placemaking.