About the Job
Moss is a full-service architecture and urban design studio located in Logan Square. Our work is diverse by design and allows us to explore design solutions across varied project types, including residential, commercial, hospitality, urban planning, and custom furniture. To support our growth, we seek a creative and enthusiastic project architect | designer with 5 – 8 years of experience in residential (detailing interiors/exteriors), commercial, and mixed-use projects to join our studio. We believe good architecture evolves from a team-focused, collaborative approach. As a result, you’ll have the opportunity to work with a cross-functional team to create the best design solutions for our clients. We work on diverse projects best suited for someone with varied interests. Candidates should have experience in all facets of project design: programming, schematic, client and consultant coordination, CDs, permitting, bidding/pricing, and CA. We work closely with our clients, so the ability to draw by hand, strong presentation, client engagement, communication, and organizational skills are essential. We value work-life balance and offer flexible working in addition to no mandatory overtime. We don’t have nap-pods or foosball, but we do ensure a caffeinated studio environment with all-you-can-drink craft coffee.
- BS Architecture or M.Arch
- Freehand drawing skills
- 5-8 years of relevant experience in an architecture studio, including design, construction documents, and construction administration
- Experience creating renderings and graphics for client presentations
- Strong design creativity and technical proficiency
- Ability to coordinate with consultants, owner’s representatives, contractors, and architectural team members
- Manage projects through all phases, from schematic design to construction administration
- Ability to create conceptual, presentation, and technical drawings
- Experience performing zoning and building code research
- Proficiency with Revit, SketchUp or V-Ray, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with construction and field experience a plus
- Ability to multi-task and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the US; no agency applications, please.
Kendall McCaugherty ©Hall+Merrick Photographers
About the Company
moss is a full-service architecture and urban design studio in the Logan Square neighborhood of Chicago. We’re LEED accredited and licensed in Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, and California. Our work is diverse by design, allowing us to explore the best design solutions across varied project types, including residential, commercial, hospitality, breweries and wineries, interiors, urban planning, and custom furniture. We assist our clients through the entire architectural and construction process, from site selection and design to permitting and construction. We work collaboratively with our design team and fabricators to create beautiful, livable, superior spaces. We believe that successful design provides solid connectivity with nature while responding to our client’s needs, desires, and vision of a comfortable, livable, and functional environment. We believe that sustainable designs can be cost-effective, preserve history, and result in a more beautiful, conscientious, and enduring design. Our designs integrate natural light and air, connection to the landscape and green space, and the surrounding environment to create open, navigable spaces for present and posterity. Our architecture emphasizes the creative use of sustainable materials to seamlessly blend landscape with the built environment, creating an enriching experience for occupants and exerting a minimal impact on the surrounding landscape. Instead of supplanting or suppressing, we aim to create a mutually beneficial exchange between environment and edifice, where buildings don’t dirty, pollute, or drain but instead clean, purify, and inspire. This approach allows us to create site-specific, energy-efficient, sustainable architecture.
Women-Owned Business Enterprise (WBE)