$55,954 - $85,978
About the Job
$55,954 - $85,978
Engineering is responsible for building and maintaining the majority of Metra’s fixed assets, such as buildings, stations, bridges, track, electrical, telecommunications and signal systems. The Engineering Department also monitors the condition of and assists in building and maintaining the fixed assets on the freight lines where Metra trains operate. The Engineering Department is divided into two major groups: Capital Projects, and Communications and Maintenance. Reporting to the Manager, Wayfinding and Signs, the Wayfinding and Signs Project Manager will manage wayfinding and signs design and construction projects at Metra stations and parking facilities. The primary duties include: Participate in developing, updating, and implementing system-wide graphic designs and specifications for Metra's Station Sign Program. Develop and manage scopes, budgets, and contract documents for moderately complex design and construction projects, including ADA-required sign projects. Assist in the effort to replace all station and parking signs throughout the Metra system and develop and roll out new types of signs and maps. Audit and approve payment invoices for assigned projects ensuring accuracy, completeness of charges and supporting documentation, and ensuring compliance with contracts and budgets. Manage the activities of consultants and contractors engaged in providing signage and wayfinding services, monitor and review in-house staff and consultant work to ensure adherence to Metra's Station Sign Program, participate in project review sessions, and monitor and report the progress of consultant/contractor activities on projects. Works under both inside and outside environment conditions under prevailing conditions of heat, cold, rain and snow. Perform other related duties as assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Candidates can expect salary offers that range from the minimum to the mid-point of the salary range. Metra provides full pay ranges so candidate can consider their growth potential. Metra is a railroad employer subject to the provisions of the Railroad Retirement Tax Act, not the Social Security Administration.
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Civil Engineering, Architecture, Transportation Planning, or a related discipline.
- In addition to #1, must have two years of progressively responsible environmental graphic design or related work experience.
- Must have experience managing projects, including fiscal responsibilities.
- Some knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign.
- Some knowledge of Bentley MicroStation or Autodesk Revit is preferred.
- Good analytical and organization skills with attention to detail.
- Skill in preparing clear and effective graphics and drawings.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to manage design and construction projects, including creating contract documents.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize multiple objectives, and bring projects to completion within a deadline-sensitive environment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
- Ability to stand, walk, and/or sit, for extended periods of time.
- Hearing/Visual acuity, far/near. depth perception, field of vision, color vision.
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to operate a vehicle.
- Must be willing to travel within and outside of Metra's 6-county region.
- Must be available to work flexible hours in the early morning, late afternoon, evening or weekends.