About the Job
We are currently seeking ambitious and curious designers to join our firm for long-term growth and unique project experiences. You will have the opportunity to work through all phases of design and construction on projects of various scales, complexities, and disciplines spanning public realm, placemaking, interiors, architecture, and urban design. You will work closely with the principal and participate in the creation of design and technical solution types through feasibility studies, conceptual and schematic design activities, and construction documentation using an assortment of communication tools. Designs will be presented, critiqued, and reiterated as a firm. We currently work Tuesday through Thursday in our South Loop office and Monday and Friday from home. We work to cultivate an efficient 40-hour work week with limited deadline driven overtime.
Benefits for the position include:
- Group Health, Dental, Vision insurance PPO plans
- 401k group plan and match
- Hybrid work environment
- 4 weeks PTO which includes 2 weeks office-wide PTO during summer and winter breaks
- Professional development stipend
- Volunteer stipend
- Licensure support
Active projects you will be working on from your first week at the firm include; new construction community center in the Midwest, storefront art gallery on the West Side, public defender office on the Far South Side, and citywide collaborations with arts organizations for various community arts projects. Our experience requirements are below:
- Bachelor of Architecture degree or Master’s degree in Architecture.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant architectural office experience (US and Chicago experience preferred).
- Working towards completion of NCARB Architectural Experience Program (AXP) a plus but not required.
- Working proficiency in Revit, Enscape, & Adobe Suite.
- Working knowledge of City of Chicago Building Codes, IBC & accessibility standards.
- Strong design sensibility and ability to create presentation documents.
- Active in the production of design documents, including: SD, DD, CD and CA.
- Detail oriented, organized, with the ability to manage time independently and in collaborative teams.
- Great communication skills and comfort level to interact with clients, consultants, and contractors.
- Knowledge of the construction process and ability to participate in construction meetings.
- Ability to take initiative on design and firm goals.
- Willingness to be flexible, grow, question, share and learn.
- Comfortable working in a boutique firm setting with direct access to leadership and a dog.
To apply, please email your resume and work samples. No phone calls please.
Two-phase interviews will be conducted with firm leadership and staff virtually and/or in person.
BIPOC / WOC candidates are encouraged to apply.
BGCC Rusu-McCartin Club | Image by Tom Harris Photography
About the Company
Latent was founded to explore the influence of architecture as small or as large as the context allows.
Latent is a woman of color led firm spanning the disciplines of architecture and urban design. Sometimes successfully, sometimes stumbling, but always pushing a vision of design equity forward. Our firm is working at the intersection of design and community development to create social, economic, and environmental impact. Our collaborations range from small-scale tactical interventions, new construction community buildings, adaptive reuse, neighborhood master plans and design speculations. We create vibrant places to live, work, and thrive.