About the Job
At EXP, we’re driven to provide innovative solutions for the world’s built and natural environments. As a team of engineers, architects, designers, scientists, creators, and a community of professionals, we bring diverse and talented people together to solve the world’s most complex challenges. Here, you join a team that leverages differences, harnesses their entrepreneurial spirit in an employee-owned company, that believes diversity is what gives us strength, seeks sustainable results and shares ambitions for each other, our clients, and the communities we are part of and serve. To be a part of EXP means to have your own experience, while staying connected to a global network of professionals, who believe we are a part of something bigger. Together, we are EXP. Are you ready to design your future? Senior Architect - Technical Director Your work environment at EXP In this role, you will be a part of the Aviation, Transit and Commercial Buildings team, of the Buildings Sector, based in Chicago. What a day at EXP has in store for you:
- This individual will be responsible for managing, production, and coordination of projects from our Chicago, IL office, for projects nation-wide
- The successful candidate will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, be a dynamic presenter, and be able to effectively coordinate with diverse team members
- The position includes the role as a liaison between EXP project teams, subconsultants and contractors
- As Technical Director you will work closely with principal designers, project managers and project architects to permeate a Design Excellence approach through the technical execution of our projects.
- As Technical Director you will work closely with Project Managers and you will provide input regarding anticipated level of effort, appropriate fees, schedule, and that are acceptable to the client and beneficial to EXP
- As Technical Director you will be responsible for the implementation of EXP’s robust Quality Review program. This program is executed on all phases of all projects to ensure documents produced by EXP are complete, clear, coordinated, concise and constructable.
- As Technical Director you will be responsible for the establishment of training programs, including monthly Architect’s Lunches to share information and promote discussion of all aspects of the built environment, and scheduling in-house lunch presentations by various industry manufacturers, suppliers and installers.
- Establishing an approach to mentoring the staff will also be a priority for the successful candidate. Opportunities to share your project experiences, from creating construction documents, to construction administration activities, to site observations, are all valuable teaching moments.
- The Technical Director will assist the Project Architect with choosing appropriate materials and systems to execute the design as established by the Project Designer and assist in the preparation and review of the detailing for the project.
- As Technical Director you will have oversight of the assembly of the necessary construction documents-drawings and specifications-for each phase of each project, as prepared by the Project Architect.
- As Technical Director you will have a leadership role in the Construction Administration Phase of our projects, mentoring Project Architects in the successful completion of this phase.
- Participation in business development through participation in client meetings, assisting with marketing proposals, and participating in selection interviews is anticipated for this role
- Our Technical Director will be included in a leadership role in our Design Build pursuits and projects.
What Your Experience Looks Like
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Architecture from an accredited University
- Must possess Architectural License
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience with the tasks identified above
- Track record of exceptional performance
- An ability to communicate clearly and professionally to all staff members. Encouragement and support of their efforts, from the Intern to the Project Architect, is a desirable quality and will help every team member succeed and grow.
- Experience in alternative delivery projects including Design Build and Construction Manager at Risk
- Experience in a variety of project market sectors, including both private and public clients
- Aviation, Rail + Transit experience ideal but not required
- Thorough working understanding of the Microsoft suite of products, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and Revit
- Ability for occasional travel
ABOUT USOur story With a mission to understand, innovate, partner and deliver, EXP provides engineering, architecture, design and consulting services to the world’s built and natural environments. Our heritage dates back to 1906, when the earliest of EXP’s predecessor companies started its engineering infrastructure practice. Today, thousands of creative professionals across EXP work together to deliver extraordinary experiences year after year. What makes us different The passion, enthusiasm, diversity and industry-leading capabilities of our employees make us who we are. We’re committed to providing a challenging work environment that cultivates career growth, encourages creativity and rewards excellence. Find out more about life at EXP by visiting www.exp.com.
ABOUT THE TEAMEXP is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer who fully and actively supports equal access for all people regardless of Race, Color, Religion, Gender, Age, National Origin, Veteran Status, Disability, Genetic Information or Testing, Family and Medical Leave, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity or Expression. Should you need any special accommodations, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will arrange for the most suitable accommodations based on your needs.
About the Company
At EXP, we are dedicated to delivering extraordinary experiences. We’re a team of engineers, designers, scientists, project managers and technical specialists who continually innovate, explore, create and imagine. We share a passion for excellence and a different way of doing business. Here, we believe the opportunities are endless when people work together.https://www.exp.com/services/buildings/architecture-and-interiors/