About the Job
This position offers the opportunity to work as a Design Manager (DM) with Chicago Public Schools (CPS) Program Management Office (PMO). With the support of the PMO, the DM holistically coordinates between the client (CPS), Architects of Record, consultants, and municipal agencies to move projects and capital initiatives forward. The role involves client-engagement and management of large – and small – scale projects related to deferred maintenance, fiscal year Capital plan initiatives, renovations, and new construction.
- Reports to PMO Director of Planning and Design
- Focus on the ongoing client relationships
- Develop project scopes and budgets for individual projects
- Coordinates with CPS departments and CPS principals to ensure project designs meet expectations
- Develops and maintains project schedules
- Provides Project Level Leadership of the Design Process, Ensuring Quality Projects
- Management of Architect of Record (AOR), successfully guiding consultants through the completion of all design and entitlements, bidding, permit, construction and closeout milestones
- Conformance to Budget and Schedule, and CPS Design Guidelines
- Performs Technical Peer Reviews of Milestone Submissions, overseeing both qualitative and quantitative aspects of the design
- Facilitates processes related to contraction POs, billing and add services
- Coordinates with PMO Project Manager (PM) regarding constructability and construction administration phase (PM leads the construction phase with DM as support for AOR oversight)
- Coordinates with AOR, CPS and Public Agencies for related to code and zoning requirements
- Supports PMO team with, lessons learned, annual reviews of AORs
- Assists with development of programs for proposed new buildings and annexes; large scale renovation initiatives; and other unique strategic planning endeavors
- Prepares planning concepts and associated budgets for consideration of feasibility
- Assists Capital Planning and Facilities for applications for grants and other funding opportunities with state agencies
- Provides research / review of code issues, technical specifications, best practices as needed
- Assists with FF&E requirements for each school
- Collaborates with PMO member for the development of processes
- Bachelor and/or Master of Architecture degree, licensed architect preferred
- Minimum 10 years of work experience in the architecture or planning industry
- Self-starter, with past experience as a project architect preferred
- Strong knowledge of all phases of project development from conceptual design through construction administration
- Experience with educational facility design a plus
- Attention to detail, with depth of understanding of contract document coordination and technical aspects of project development
- Strong management skills, with ability to oversee simultaneous projects in a fast-paced environment
- Good communication skills necessary to lead consultants, facilitate discussions with client stakeholders, interface with PMO team and keep supervisors up to date
Please send electronic cover letter, resume, and work samples to attn: Lauren Schneider at firstname.lastname@example.org.
bKL Architecture is an equal opportunity employer.
About the Company
bKL Architecture is a Chicago-based architectural firm with extensive experience in the design and execution of complex projects. With a presence both nationally and internationally, the firm has an impressive portfolio showcasing a variety of project types and scales.
bKL’s culturally diverse team brings together a broad range of skills, experiences, and backgrounds to create a vibrant studio atmosphere and design process. At the center of bKL’s design process is a focus on in-depth analysis, intensive experimentation, and collaboration. The bKL team designs projects that enrich sites and cities around the world in which they build.