About the Job
AltusWorks is seeking a Preservation Architect to join our team and lead restoration, renovation, and rehabilitation project delivery for a wide variety of market sectors – cultural venues, education (higher ed and K12), local government, hospitality/breweries, multi-family residential, retail, and transportation. Position Summary Take a leadership role in the development and execution of a variety of projects addressing historic and existing structures. Specific preservation expertise on projects will include: Primary:
- Condition assessments of building enclosure systems, building interiors and barriers to accessibility.
- Façade evaluations from suspended swing stages, direct/review probe openings and analyze failure modes.
- Report preparation consolidating assessment findings and recommendations.
- Facility analysis and planning.
- Architectural repair and construction documents for building enclosure restoration.
- Architectural design and construction documents for adaptive reuse and rehabilitation.
- Perform Building Enclosure Commissioning services for new construction and renovation, applying knowledge of building science and observed failures.
- Actively participate in our Firm Ambassador Business Development culture.
- Measured drawings of existing conditions for base architectural plans and for HABS documentation.
- Lead and collaborate on the preparation of proposal responses using corporate marketing information.
- Preparation of Section 106 review documents.
- Archival Research and writing for national register nominations, historic structures reports, preservation plans and HABS documentation.
- Oversee assignments of Architectural Designers.
- Mentor emerging architects and designers.
- Fifteen days of paid leave for vacation, personal, or sick leave to be accrued monthly including initial 3-month trial period.
- Six standard holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day which can be taken as holiday or banked for PTO.
- Participation in corporate sponsored professional development events and activities.
- Group health insurance premiums partially paid by AltusWorks.
- Group dental and vision insurance is available, but premiums not paid by AltusWorks.
- Group long and short-term disability insurance, premiums paid by AltusWorks. Short-term disability insurance is offered as our maternity leave benefit.
- 401(K) retirement plan with a 3% non-elective employer contribution and 2% annual discretionary profit sharing.
- Consideration for periodic discretionary bonuses based on firm and individual performance.
- Statement of Interest
- Writing Sample
- Construction document Sample
- Ability to communicate with clients, consultants, contractors, and co-workers effectively and professionally at all times, graphically, verbally and in written documents.
- Self-starter, as well as a flexible, collaborative team player, willing to take on all assignments, including those for non-historic project types.
- Knowledge of preservation techniques and policies.
- Knowledge of historic construction techniques and styles.
- Knowledge of material repair and restoration techniques.
- Knowledge of high-preforming walls, windows, and roofing systems.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Bluebeam, InDesign, and current AutoCAD and Revit programs.
- Basic graphic presentation skills for preparation of reports and marketing materials.
- Creative writing skills for the preparation of historic reports and marketing materials.
- Comfortable with client presentations, project interviews and public speaking.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Architectural Studies, Structural Engineering or Historic Preservation and an advanced degree in Historic Preservation or a Master of Architecture with a Historic Preservation focus.
- 7-15 years’ experience as a preservation architect preparing contract documents for architectural preservation, h
About the Company
Altus is the Latin root of the noun altitude meaning HIGH, OLD, EXPERT. AltusWorks (a Woman-Owned Business Enterprise) is a technically oriented architectural design firm which applies a high level of expertise to the creative problem solving required for the restoration, adaptive reuse, rehabilitation, and expansion of existing and historic structures. The firm was founded in 2003 by Ellen Stoner, Preservation Architect, based on the concept that existing buildings are renewable assets that contribute to the economic development of communities through their revitalization. With such expertise, the firm facilitates the implementation of a variety of projects from facility assessments and program management to additions, building renovation and restoration, envelope repair, adaptive reuse and building envelope commissioning. This is a great opportunity to join an incredible firm. Visit www.altusworks.com to learn more about our diverse practice and the variety of markets and clients we serve.
- Vision Statement
- Mission Statement
- Purpose Statement
Women-Owned Business Enterprise (WBE)
Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE)