University of Illinois Instructional Facility: Photo by Dave Burk_SOM
2022 AIA Illinois Honor Award Design Winners Images
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (Sept. 27, 2022) – AIA Illinois announces the recipients of the 2022 AIA Illinois Honor Awards, “A Celebration of Better Illinois Communities by Design,” recognizing architecture throughout Illinois. Award recipients have been selected by a jury from nominations submitted this spring.
The AIA Illinois Honor Awards recognize people and projects epitomizing the contributions of the architecture profession, the transformative power of design, and the dedication of individuals to service and excellence. All award winners have positively impacted citizens throughout the state of Illinois by helping create communities in which people are drawn to live and work, and to live healthier and happier.
“A sincere congratulations to all of the award recipients,” said Stacey Pfingsten, Executive Vice President at AIA Illinois. “Your contributions to our built environment impact us all and strengthen our communities.”
“Congratulations to all of the 2022 Honor Award recipients,” said James Maciejewski, AIA, 2022 President of AIA Illinois’ Board of Directors. “The decisions were difficult ones, but this year’s award recipients have shown exemplary work and great service to bettering our communities and the built environment.”
The 2022 AIA Illinois Honor Award design recipients:
- The Capitol Award and For Excellence in High-Performance Buildings: Projects 5,000 SF and Over – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Campus Instructional Facility | Urbana-Champaign, Ill.
The Capitol Award is the highest state honor given for a transformational project – one designed for the human experience that works towards cultural transformation. Selected from all submissions, chosen directly by the jury.
- For Excellence in High-Performance Buildings:
For Projects Under 5,000 SF – Yannell PHIUS+ Residence | Chicago, Ill.
- For Excellence in Historic Preservation: Project Construction Value $5 Million and Above – CTA Quincy Station Restoration + Renovation | Chicago, Ill.
- For Excellence in Historic Preservation: Project Construction Value $5 Million and Above – Chicago Cultural Center Grand Army of the Republic Rooms Restoration | Chicago, Ill.
- For Excellence in Interiors: Projects 5,000 SF and Above – Steppenwolf Theatre Campus Expansion | Chicago, Ill.
- For Excellence in Master Planning – Illinois Capitol 2050 Master Plan | Springfield, Ill.
- Greatest Impact: Project Construction Value $5 Million and Above – Navy Pier Flyover | Chicago, Ill.
- Greatest Impact: Project Construction Value Below $5 Million – North Lawndale Employment Network | Chicago, Ill.
The 2022 AIA Illinois Honor Award jurors include Jacob Davis, AIA, LEED AP, Mischa Farrell, AIA, and Todd Kennedy, AIA.
About AIA Illinois
AIA Illinois, the state component of the national American Institute of Architects (AIA), represents more than 4,200 members working to build livable communities from Cairo to Chicago to Rockford. It is empowered by members to champion the profession of architecture. Learn more at www.aiail.org or call (217) 522-2309.