Join Historic Resources Knowledge Community in touring the Bulley & Andrews Masonry Restoration (BAMR) yard located in the Back of the Yards neighborhood of Chicago. BAMR experts, along with architects who have worked with them, will discuss the processes for restoring historic material and the technology that BAMR has developed and implemented. The tour will cover specific topics such as:
- Documentation, scanning, and reproducing terracotta
- Matching historic glass block
- The mock-up process and replicating concrete finishes
Historic Resources will be convening after the tour at Marz Brewing, (3630 South Iron St, Chicago) to debrief and network.
- Examine various historic materials (particularly masonry, glass block, and concrete) and their conservation techniques.
- Understand how technology plays a role in the replication and restoration process.
- Unpack the collaborative process between contractors and architects in the restoration process particularly during investigations and the mock-up process.
- Enforce how restoring historic elements changes the built environment.
Joshua Freedland, Director of Historic Preservation, Bulley & Andrews
Kyle Schoenhofen, Planning & Strategy Executive, Bulley & Andrews
Greg Maxwell, AIA, Historic Resources Co-Chair
Andrea Sforza, AIA, Historic Resources Co-Chair